Special Educational Needs

I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.

We are proud of the fact that we are an inclusive school and all our children are special and individual.

Sometimes some of our children need a little more help than others to achieve their potential. Our SENDCo (Special Educational Needs Disabilities Coordinator) and the staff in your child’s class are working hard to help all the children. If you have any worries please contact them or the school.

Our SEND Co-ordinator works across school to support the children.

Mrs Sara Irving (National SEND Award gained in 2010) can be contacted on

You can also visit the Local Offer link for BwD for advice on a range of SEND provision in and around Blackburn with Darwen.

We work hard to meet the needs of all our pupils, particularly those with SEND. Check out our SEND report and other policies for more information.

SEND at Roe Lee Park Primary School

Admission Arrangements for pupils with SEND - 2023 - 2024

Admissions to community and voluntary controlled schools are the responsibility of Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council.

If you would like your child to attend our school, please see full details of our admission arrangements on our Admissions page.

Admission Arrangements for pupils with SEND - 2023 - 2024
Children with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or a Statement of Special Educational Needs naming the school will be admitted first.

Supporting Children with Special Educational Needs and / or Disabilities

How do you know if my child/young person needs extra help?
Close and careful monitoring of all children across the curriculum – we hold regular pupil progress meetings and children are given intervention as needed. This is regularly evaluated for impact. All children are screened on entry to Nursery/Reception to identify language levels. Any class teacher who has cause for concern will immediately involve parents and SENDCO. The SENDCO will look in more detail at performance and carry out further assessments if required. Any new children arriving at school are quickly assessed to ensure their needs can be met appropriately.
How will teaching approaches be modified to support my child/young person?
Staff are fully aware and briefed on the needs of any child with SEND on transition to individual classes. Teaching approaches are consistent through the school and any modifications needed for individual children are planned for each lesson.
How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing?
At Roe Lee Park, class teachers have termly pupil progress meetings with the Senior Leadership Team members to report progress made by children .Parent evenings are held twice a year in the autumn and spring terms and school reports are written twice a year. However, Parents are fully involved if needed at any time of year. IEP’s are written, reviewed and evaluated termly. Every child with an IPRA has 3 review meetings in the first year followed by an annual review thereafter. Children with an EHCP will have an annual review and 2 short review meetings per academic year. For all children additional meetings can be held if required. For children with SEND but without an EHCP meetings with the SENDCO are arranged as needed. Roe Lee Park also operates an Open Door Policy where Parents are free to speak to Teachers as and when appropriate.
How will you help me to support my child/young person's learning?
School operates an open door policy where parents are welcome to arrange meetings with their child’s class teacher to discuss their concerns. The SENDCO will share any ideas or training or advice felt appropriate with parents. School can advise parents on activities they may be able to complete with their child at home or suggest websites which would be useful to them. A half-termly Curriculum Overview is sent home so parents know what learning is taking place in the classrooms. We have a clear homework policy and will support parents in helping their child complete it.
What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?
  • Roe Lee has a strong behaviour management policy and reward system in place which rewards consistent positive behaviour. Any behaviour found to be bullying is dealt with immediately.
  • Parents are encouraged to report any incidents of bullying to school so that they can be dealt with in the correct way.
  • The views of children with SEND are important and are always included within the annual review.
  • The views of all pupils are shared in our School Council meetings.
  • We have a dedicated pupil wellbeing Co-ordinator who works with indviduals and groups of children. She is also able to refer for support from outside agencies, including ELCAS.
  • We have a Child Action North West practitioner in school each Friday to work with the children on any worries or concerns with friendships and family life.
How will you prepare and support my child/young person during transitions?
Before joining Roe Lee Park in our Nursery and Reception classes each child will be visited in their placement settings by a Level 3 SSA and Class Teacher. For children with SEND we will liaise with the pre-school setting and attend any transition reviews. We hold several Meet the Teacher sessions and our SENDCO is introduced to new parents and any initial concerns can be discussed at this point. Transition from Reception to Year 1 is closely monitored as is the transition from Year 2 to Year 3. All data and information is shared between teachers at dedicated meetings and all SSAs will meet any child they are working 1:1 with several times before the start of the year. In the year before transition to High School we will hold a review meeting during the Autumn Term when staff from the chosen high school will be invited to the meeting which will also include both parents and pupils. From this we will put a transition plan into place during the second half of the summer term before leaving Roe Lee Park.
How are resources and equipment allocated and matched to my child's/young person's needs?
Any specific resources and equipment are carefully selected according to the advice available and depending on the needs of the child. School is proactive in securing the services such as Inclusion support service for individual children as required.
How are decisions made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?
For Children with an EHCP allocation and type of support will be written into their plan according to need and EHCP recommendation. The EHCP allocation of money will be implemented in full. Those children who have identified learning needs or disability but do not have an EHCP, will have their needs will be met through the schools SEN allocation .The decision of how much support is available is made by the Headteacher and is determined by the school budget.